Walking holidays with Where2Walk
You're never far from a breathtaking walk in Yorkshire and so we've partnered with Where2Walk to bring you over 500 cottages in Yorkshire's most stunning locations so you can enjoy the best of what Yorkshire has to offer on foot. We've joined up with Jonathon Smith of Where2Walk, a local expert who has been walking the footpaths of Yorkshire all his life (you can usually catch him somewhere with his faithful companion Mist the Border Collie!). Here he shares his top tips to making the most of your stay in Yorkshire.
The benefits of walking in Yorkshire:
- Variety of landscape that is within an easy drive from any of the Yorkshire cottages: rolling hills, high moors, interesting valleys, riverside walking, pretty villages, market towns
- Empty: there are few people out on the footpaths compared to somewhere like the Lake District so a real sense of space, exploration and emptiness (in a positive way)
- Paths are excellent and in good condition, not over eroded
- History: Abbey walks, stone age settlements, lead/iron mining from the 19th century, smugglers/coastal, geological differences including limestone country.
- Some excellent mountains in the Dales including the ‘Dales 30 ‘
- In addition it is of course healthy and good fun!
How to make the most of your walking holiday:
- Take a navigation course, learn to read a map and use a compass and therefore enjoy walking further afield (special rates available for Ingrid Flute customers)
- Hire an expert guide for a day to show you the best places to walk or take you safely but further than you would normally go
- Challenge yourself and climb the mountains of the Dales 30.
The cottages below are our favourites for walking, with many close to famous walking routes or with beautiful trails right from the doorstep. Our team would be happy to offer any recommendations for places to stay, routes to meet your abilities or suggest great pubs along the routes! Call us on 01947 600700.
We're sorry! We do not have any properties that meet your exact requirements.
Some tips for searching:
- Busy periods - during busy periods many of our properties only take bookings for seven nights. A short break holiday may not be available, try other dates.
- Changeover days - normal days to start your booking are Fridays and Saturdays (some Sundays). Try your seven night booking on one of those days during busy periods.
- Widen your search - you can expand the radius of your search by using the distance filter.
Please adjust your search and try again.
Still stuck? Try using our Livechat function at the bottom-right to discuss your requirements with one of our team. If nobody is available you will be invited to leave a message. Alternatively, we would be delighted to help find your ideal property over the telephone. Please call us on 01947 600700.